Sunday, June 29, 2008

Day Thirty

Well the ferry ride took me to the mainland and onward I went through the Carolinas. I drove until about midnight yesterday and missed all opportunities to camp and then drove through a huge lightning storm. After the world settled down and the caffeine wore off, I came to the conclusion that I would get to Charleston, SC, find the nicest neighborhood and dive into the back of my truck to sleep under the lid. I set an alarm for five hours later and was out before anyone knew I was there. I popped my head up at one point and saw a deer, but he/she/it was the only witness of my presence in Charleston. I might do that truck bed camping thing again, it’s cheap and I feel like I am in a secret hide out, a really sweaty secret hideout full of stuff with a ceiling 2 inches above your face.

This morning I drove to Savannah and gave myself a tour guided by myself. To my dissatisfaction, I was not the tour guide I had anticipated myself to be as I knew nothing about the town, so I left Savannah and filed a formal complaint with the department of tourism. My other complaint this morning was with a “How’s My Driving” hotline because a trucker was hugging my bumper like he had never seen one before and then he passed me on the left in the third lane. The lady on the phone didn’t have a record of his truck number so like all other things I cannot explain on this trip, I will leave it at Zombies. But other than that, Georgia was cool.




An enthusiastic Georgian selling peaches at 6am at a Chevron. I would be reading a book too. Any thoughts on what the title was?

5 comments:

#1 FAN FOREVER said...

Good to catch up with your travels--The Field wedding was great yesterday! So nice of you to phone the groom. Jens reported that you guys had a great time. Fun to see some of the EMALS.Give your folks a hug from me. Big Hug to you Kelly

p.s. It's B-U-T-FUL at American Lake today--It's hot everywhere but at least there is a breeze out here. Darren just came over for dinner--he says hi!

p.s.s. I got a random email from Kendra Armstrong the other day. She is in North Carolina--she went to school at Wake Forest and is still there. I sent her the link to your BLOG and she told me that she sent it on to her mom Kaylyn.

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you made it through the storm in one piece. We were a bit nervous here in Spokane...somehow the storms on the other coast always seem bigger (maybe it's because we only see the BIG ones on the news). Maddy and Ella watched your 26th entry video about 20 times, laughing hysterically...you helped me babysit! Maddy kept saying, "why does he sing into a toothbrush"? It's HOT here too but we prefer our low humidity. Our family's view of Georgia was the absolute opposite of yours...didn't see one confederate flag and heard no accents. AMAZING That's a college town for you.

Unknown said...

The book "Fast Track Detox Diet" by Ann Louise Gittleman or could be Viktor Frankl's "Man's Search For Meaning"

Unknown said...

Ah yeah, tell the dirty dirty South I said hello!

Unknown said...

You have the "How's my driving hotline" on speed dial don't you?