Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day Ten

Remember that book I told you about yesterday? Finished it in one sitting. I recommend it for anyone camping, on vacation, or out in the wilderness. Montana 1948. Thanks Jan!

I got up at six this morning and moved my campsite to the other side of the park. Skies were clear and I drove to the grand canyon of Yellowstone where I hiked for roughly seven miles and the canyon’s brim. Hiking alone in Yellowstone is a trip. I have never been so cautious about reading tracks and droppings, checking the skies, and checking the contents of my bag. The simple fact that around any corner can be some hungry beast is a bit intimidating. A small bird snapping a branch would halt my progress. In Yellowstone I have a very healthy almost paranoid respect for mans fragility and nature’s power. On my drive back from the canyon the weather started to turn but I had to stop for a grizzly bear sighting. The thing was enormous, my pictures didn’t really pan out because my lens was totally spotted with rain. I returned to camp and rushed to build a fire to get dinner going before I would be marooned in my tent. I hid in my sleeping bag from the pounding rain and cold for a few hours praying I would fall asleep and wake up tomorrow to clear skies. The weather had gone from bearable to malicious, and quite frankly was no longer fun. Just as I had had enough, the skies opened up so I walked down to the lake where I did some
push-ups and then some pull-ups from a tree, and immediately felt better. I’ll have to remember this little remedy in future tests. Tomorrow morning I will leave Yellowstone and head to eastern Wyoming where hopefully I’ll find some heat.










8 comments:

Unknown said...

I love your pictures and observations. I also am thrilled that you liked "Montana 1948"...pretty haunting isn't it? What an adventure you're having Kelly. Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to have M and E over to show them the next leg of your trip. Love those Happy Trails.

Unknown said...

Push-ups and pull-ups. That's my boy!

Keith Sparks said...

I see your following my instructions 'no fun without me'. Kelly that was joke, its ok have fun...

Future recommenations for fun in no sun conditions:

1) Bottle of Wine in the tent.
2) Think of all the memories you had with me
3) Nothing else... These 2 are really enough to keep you having fun for months!

It sounds amazing what your doing and I am glad that you are having a good time. I can't wait to hear more detailed versions of these stories. Keep it up.

Keith Sparks said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Boy friend said...

Dave Nicoli Sr says get a job you bum!

K said...

What is that moose like thing over there. I hope you punched it in the face

Dr. Totten said...

You didn't chase the bear down for a bear hug? shame on you Kelly shame on you. You don't get many opportunities like that. Glad to see you have all 6 toes and 11 fingers.

Jessica Holden said...

Sounds like you can be our Yosemite bear expert! Don't listen to Keith about the wine in the tent number though...that'll bring 'em running!