Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day Nine

Tonight I write next to a roaring campfire after a dinner of grilled cheese and turkey sandwiches toasted on my fire. Because of the temperature, I am sitting literally one foot away from the fire in full winter gear, luckily I brought some. today I read in the newspaper that Yellowstone had the coldest temperatures in the nation this weekend. I guess someone forgot to turn on summer down here. This morning I visited the geysers with some friends I made last night around the campfire. They had been to Yellowstone before and served as both guides and transportation throughout the park. Old Faithful was faithful as always and our group disbanded after lunch. The geysers were an incredible mixture of color and power. There are tons of them within the park and they are all unique. Some are burping mudpits, some are boiling perfect cyans, and others are just plain showing off for the tourists. I retreated from the weather for a few hours in my tent to nap and catch up on the newspaper. Tonight looks like an opportunity to start a new book Jan Praxel in Spokane let me borrow. The skies are now clear and I have a couple hours left in my campfire to put a good dent in Montana 1948. Tomorrow I will venture to the other side of the park where I will spend the remainder of my Yellowstone visit.





1 comment:

Unknown said...

Someone forgot to turn summer on here too! It's June and I'm still wearing sweaters to work... hopefully you find summer soon. And I hope it finds us soon too!

Glad my mom could hit you up with some good reading material. Funny, I've been her daughter for 23 years and she's never given ME that book. You might be taking over as the favorite.