Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day Twenty-Five

I also hate Indiana and Ohio toll roads. 1) Because they are there. 2) Because they cost more and it is completely arbitrary. 3) And because by the time I did an entire cost benefit analysis in my head of the toll vs. going out of my way to take another highway, I was already at another toll and had to pay again.

In other news Indiana had a lot to offer today. I visited Notre Dame home of Rudy, heartthrob Brady Quinn, and touchdown Jesus (below). It was a very cool campus and had that "I'm a really old campus feel." To kill some time before the College Football Hall of Fame opened, I visited a small used bookstore and asked the owner if he had any recommendations, he replied with "I don't read," which I thought was a very odd response for a used book store owner. So I left, read my own book, and then fell asleep in a park. The Hall of Fame was awesome and for the first time I really missed playing football. There was this awesome tri-screen film of just wicked hits and huge plays which really got the hair on my arms standing straight up. I eventually found Frosty Westering's (retired PLU football coach) plaque/bust thing and we took a photo together. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2005.



Touchdown Jesus at Notre Dame.


Pat Tillman: American Hero (If you don't know his story) Pat Tillman


The evolution of football equipment. The red bandannas were to distinguish teams, not for protection. At one point college football was almost banned by Roosevelt because of some 19 fatalities or something. Possibly bandanna related?


Here is me and and my football coach Frosty. He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2005. The guy who took my picture was very impressed that I knew an inductee.


Here is Frosty's close-up. He looks better in person.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

OK...remember this...if you get to another book store buy anything by David James Duncan. I can almost promise you that you will love the books. "The Brothers K" or "The River Why" as well as "God Laughs and Plays" are all great travelling reads by a Montana man with depth and a great sense of humor. Write this down because you'll love them...I promise and the promise of a high school English teacher when it comes to books is good!

Dave Stubbs said...

Very cool photos from the C.H.O.F. ! But, where is the plaque/bust of PLU Lineman Kelly Totten? He's got to be around there somewhere!