Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Day Fourty-Seven

The long way home endured, today I arrived.

First and foremost I would like to thank everyone who helped me along on this trip. Your thoughts, food, shelter, conversations will always remain something special in my heart, and I am very grateful. Leaving Tacoma six weeks ago almost seems like a lifetime ago. Montana, Yellowstone, even Minneapolis seems so far back. People have been asking me, "Where's the one place that stands out?" "What did you learn?" or "What are you going to do now?" The single most rewarding experience of this trip is having a better understanding of who I am. I made some ambitious goals when I left Tacoma, one being that I would figure out what I wanted to do with my life. But for a long time on the road I struggled in my inner dialog and found the difficulty was in not even knowing what really excites me, or what I love to do, or things I really believe. And so I daily challenged myself to find these things, and I now have a list of things I will do. All along this journey I have found inspiration: the man walking across America, in watching the landscape change in front of my very eyes, in feeling the weather, in feeling confident in my self-sufficiency. It has been an amazing transformational journey that I will always hold onto and will reflect back on for a long time. Thank you all for reading and being a part of this. I have enjoyed the comments, phone calls, text messages, emails, and am truly lucky to live in such a diverse circle of great loving people.

Happy Trails,
Kelly Totten



3 comments:

Keith Sparks said...

SUCKER!!!! Now I know where you live! It took me 5 years but now I know... Guess who is gonna stop by and sleep on the couch and NEVER leave??? This guy!

Unknown said...

We're glad to have been an early part of your thinking man's journey Kelly, which I would guess will continue for the rest of your life. A marvelous prof of mine a lifetime ago at PLU said his favorite quote was the often memorized statement from Socrates at his trial when he stated "The unexamined life is not worth living." Good for you for examining. Welcome back.

karin slotrem madarieta said...

Hope you don't mind I took a look at your trip. I love that you read Dharma Bums, one of my favorite first paragraphs of a book ever.
Glad you had a great trip, sorry about the line cutter at Journey. That's a true disapointment.
I look forward to your next road trip.